Early this morning, just before 2am local time, I finally had something close to an OBE, my first real event since moving back here. However, I call it a "Faux OBE", because it was a mix of an OBE and a lucid dream. I was floating around the ceiling like it was an OBE, but everything else about it was more like a lucid dream.
OBE / lucid dream notes
Here's how this "Faux OBE" event happened:
- As I was falling asleep I realized I was feeling the "whooshing" sensations that I've tried to describe here before. It's like you're in this physical world, but you're being sucked into another world, and there is a whooshing or pulling sensation, and then as you think about it you're back here again. It is falling asleep, but it's also different.
- Next, I did fall asleep.
- Some time after that I "woke up", out of my body, floating in the ceiling of the bedroom.
- I looked down at the bed, and saw a head with dark hair, and assumed it was mine. I knew I was bundled up for the cool weather, and that was probably all I could see.
- I thought about the usual tests, "What is one plus one?", "Who is the president?", etc., and I was able to answer all those easily.
- I haven't had an OBE in so long I haven't bothered laying any cards out, so I tried to think of what to do while I was floating around. I thought maybe there was something on the table, so I "willed" myself down to the table, and tried to knock something over, though I know it didn't seem or feel right.
- After doing that, I thought I'd try to go through one of the walls. For some reason I tried to poke through one of the walls with my right hand. At this point I looked at my hands, possibly for the second or third time. They looked wrong, as I expect in a lucid dream, but I thought it was weird to have hands in an OBE.
- Unable to get out through a wall, for some reason I decided to try to open the curtain to the window. As I was doing this, a woman, possibly my wife, called to me from the direction of the bed. She asked what I was doing, and kept encouraging me to come back to bed. As I did this, I woke up.
OBE and lucid dream observations
Several observations here:
- The head I saw in the bed was laying in the wrong direction from the way I was actually sleeping.
- Trying to knock something over on the table didn't feel right, and I gave up on this too easily.
- Seeing my hands, and trying to poke a hand through a wall, is generally inconsistent with my previous OBEs, and is something I would expect in a lucid dream. In an OBE state, I rarely feel like I have hands or a complete body, though I can think of a few exceptions. (In one case I was exploring a wall with my hands for some reason, and heard a buzzing sound behind me. It turns out the bed was behind me, and my physical body was snoring while my astral body was out exploring.)
- I don't have a curtain in my bedroom. Because I went along with thinking that I did have a curtain in my bedroom, this is another indication to me that my thinking wasn't fully clear, and this was more "lucid dream" than OBE.
- There was no woman in my bed.