Alarm goes off in my head while sleeping
I've had a ton of dreams lately, including some levitating and light flying dreams, but I've been too busy to record them. One dream stands out from last night however.
The setup for the dream is like this: Over the last week I've been helping a friend try to move her business website from one hosting provider to another. Last night at 9pm we received an email that said the final switch might happen in the next two hours, but if often takes up to 48 hours. After receiving this email, I turned on a simple program that would notify me when the switch happened, so I could wake up and test the site to make sure everything was okay.
So I went to sleep last night, and slept very lightly, checking the website once at midnight to see if the switch had happened yet. Some time later I heard an alarm go off, but it wasn't the computer program I wrote to wake me up. The alarm/ringtone I heard woke me up within the dream state, and as I laid there in the dream state I listened to the "alarm", and realized it was a creation of my own brain/mind. It wasn't the software alarm I wrote, and it wasn't my phone ringing. I was awake enough to know that.
I woke myself up, picked up the phone and looked at it to be sure it wasn't my programmed alarm. I debated about whether to get up and check the website, but I was tired, and decided to go back to sleep. But after a while guilt got the better of me, and I got up, checked the website, and sure enough, the switch had happened. My software program failed to notify me for some reason, so maybe, just maybe, my brain/mind jumped in with a ringtone of its own to wake me up and alert me to the switch. (I then proceeded to test the website and email access, as I promised.)
Of course the last part of that story about where the alarm came from is speculation, but the facts are:
- I only knew the DNS switch would happen in the next 48 hours, not exactly when.
- I was sleeping lightly because I wanted to make sure I heard my programmed alarm if/when it went off.
- My software script which was programmed to send an SMS message to my telephone and therefore set off that ringtone on the phone, and I had tested it several days ago, and all the tests worked. But for some reason when the DNS switch actually happened this morning, my SMS alert program failed. That's simple enough to verify by looking at the script output and the phone's SMS log.
- I've only heard a phone ringing one other time in a dream that I can recall, and that was four years ago.
- The ringing happened, and then I checked the website, and the DNS switch had occurred, and the new website was being displayed.
The truth is, I don't know why the alarm/ringtone went off in my head, but I appreciate that it did.