One-man Inception

March 6, 2013

I really needed some time off from work, so I took this afternoon off. I thought about going to the theater, but there wasn't anything playing that I'd like to see.

Not feeling like exercising today, I decided to take a nap. That turned into a long nap of over three hours. I laid on my bean bag chair and a stack of pillows, and every time I woke up, I decided to just lay there and fall back to sleep as slowly as I could.

I spent most of the time in a multilayered dream where I couldn't tell if I was awake or not, like the movie Inception.

At one point I thought I was laying on the floor of an old home I used to live in, and my mother and two youngest sisters had come to see me. At first they were outside a door calling to me to let them in. Later they were in the house, and had given me something I was having difficulty working with. I felt exhausted, and it was all I could do to open my eyes and see what this thing was. I fumbled with it, woke up, then went right back there and fumbled with it some more, all the while trying to determine if I was somehow really awake and this was happening.

(After I woke up I saw that one of these sisters left a message on my phone while I slept. I haven't listened to it yet.)

After that sequence ended, I was back in my bedroom, but it was warmer, like summer instead of late winter, and my bedroom window was open. There were people outside and they were doing something ... I couldn't tell if they were exercising as a group, or cleaning up, but it seemed like there were 10-20 people from what I could hear. I couldn't see them, but I was worried they could see me laying here on the floor. I finally convinced myself that I don't live on a first-floor apartment, so there was no way they could see me.

During the last 30-60 minutes of this time I started getting uncomfortable, and in a way that helped me stay in the hypnogogic state fairly well. As I laid there I heard a woman yell, "Mike!", and other things like that. Again I returned to the floor of the old house, and this time my family members were gone, and it was just me, trying very hard to open my tired old eyes to look around.

When I finally became too uncomfortable I got up.

back to the Tequila/Monk front page