Techniques to help stay in the moment (the now)
Even after years of meditation I still have problems staying in the moment, especially when I’m with other people. To combat this, when I find my mind wandering I usually ask myself any of a series of questions, all related to the senses:
- In this moment, what do you smell?
- Do you taste something right now?
- What do you hear? Do you hear something different in the right ear vs the left ear?
- Are you hot or cold? Does the air feel dry or humid?
- What sensations do you have in the body?
I precede all of those questions with, “In this moment,” to make sure I’m truly sensing the now, and not some thought I had a while ago, such as, “Wow, a few minutes ago I had a real twinge in my neck,” or something like that.
I also use a technique of quietly rubbing the sides of two fingers together (two knuckles, essentially). I did this as another way to generate a sensation to bring myself back to the moment, without doing anything anyone else would notice.
All of those help me come back to now.