Strange happenings in the lucid dream state
There’s a weird thing that often happens in lucid dreams that goes like this ...
You start off in the dark, you were asleep. And then you’re in a lucid dream, a holodeck-like environment. The environment can be exactly the same as the place you live in, or it might be a little different.
In the case of last night, I was in my kitchen and listening to some music. It was a melancholy song that I had never heard of, and I realized that I liked it and I wanted to remember the lyrics when I woke up. So a part of me knew that I was asleep, and that I wanted to remember the lyrics when I woke up — that’s the weird part. (Another weird part is that original music is playing in your dreams.)
With that thought I started looking around and found a pencil to write with. After that I couldn’t find something to write on — this is a second weird part. I found a scrap of paper, and for some reason that wouldn’t work, maybe there was too much writing on it already. Then I found another piece of paper, but again it wouldn’t work for some reason. This went on for a while until I finally found a piece of paper that would work, and then I tore it while trying to write on it.
At this point a second song started playing. This second was completely different, a heavy metal song that I had never heard before. I had no interest in writing down the lyrics, but when I walked around the apartment I came to a place where an old radio I used to have was connected to some speakers, and that’s where the song was coming from.
This scared me quite a bit — the third thing I want to note here. While previously I knew that I was asleep and dreaming, at this point I had lost any perspective and was lost in the environment. Seeing the radio and speakers injected me with a tremendous amount of fear, irrational fear. This fear quickly kicked me out of this environment, and I woke up.
Strange things in the lucid dream state
So there were at least three weird things in this lucid dream state:
- At first I knew that I was asleep, but when I heard the song lyrics I wanted to write them down so I’d remember them. So it’s like you “95% know” that you’re dreaming, but that remaining 5% has a big impact on your behavior.
- Second, it’s always hard to find something to something to write on (or write with) in this state.
- Third, the fact that original music can be playing in this state is crazy. It’s not like your mind is re-playing a song you’ve heard before. Instead, it’s playing a song that has never existed on plane tEarth.
- Fourth, it’s often possible to have irrational fear in this state, as though there is no control over whatever normally controls fear in your brain or mind.
I’m sure there are other unusual things about this sort of lucid dream state, but those are the things that come to mind at this time.